Works in Progress go on a separate list, because (1) They'll eventually be moved to one of the main lists if/when they're completed and (2) I can't guarantee that my observations will hold true as the fics continue to be updated, or indeed whether I'll keep reading/the author will keep writing, so this will be a lot less stable compared to the other lists.
Across the River and Back - A fusion with the anime/manga Yu Yu Hakusho, but as far as I can tell, requires no knowledge of that series to enjoy the story. I'm hoping against hope this will be completed, because the Ye Zun in this story seems tremendously powerful and taking him down is bound to be a hell of a ride. Also, Shen Wei and Zhao Yunlan's past life story (which is nothing like the novel backstory) is absolutely heart-wrenching.
A Heart Unmasked - An unusual alternate take on YOHE. Also has one of those rare whipping/torture scenes (and post-torture h/c) that didn't make me want to click away, because damn was Shen Wei even more badass than usual during it. I'm dying to know how the author intended to use this in the context of a fix-it, but there are two more chapters to go...
Da Capo - Really nice musician!AU. Love the idea of Shen Wei as a concert pianist and Zhao Yunlan as a rock star.
Jin Yu Qi Wai - It's pretty shocking (in the best way!) to see someone writing a post-canon reincarnation space opera sequel to the drama when that's almost exactly what you and your sister's brainstorming sessions came up with for a hypothetical S02, so, yeah, this is that.
Night Shift Fae Diner AU - Interesting alternate universe with Dixingren/Yashou as various mythical creatures who frequent a diner in which Zhao Yunlan is working. This is a series of small fics, so can be read even if you usually avoid WIP's.
Taking It Slow - A fantastic set of "missing scenes" fics which, as the title implies, explores a slow-but-sure edging towards a relationship for our favourite couple. I'm hoping desperately for an update to this one, but each part also stands fairly well on its own.
The Turning of the Wheel - A couple of short stories which, I think, are an abandoned attempt at a post-canon fix-it. Still a very interesting start, so worth a read. (Reincarnation again, though!)
Umbra - A unique take on daemon!AU, doing things with daemons that I haven't commonly encountered elsewhere.
Winter Jasmine - A superhero!Shen Wei AU by the author of Umbra. Another thoroughly interesting fic that I'm wishing so hard will see completion.
Writerly Inktober 2019 by Dahlia_Moon - A human!AU where Shen Wei has a shattered family and a shady past which Zhao Xinci is determined to use against him to make him break up with Zhao Yunlan. Meanwhile, Zhao Yunlan's birthday is drawing closer and Shen Wei's bought a wedding ring, but how can he propose with all that he can't bring himself to tell? Not sure why something this short and simple arrested my attention so much, but the way it mirrors canon is interesting.
Zhao's Seven - Marked as complete, but reads like the first chapter of a much longer heist!AU that draws inspiration from Ocean's Eleven. Still hoping this will get a continuation someday, because just the short intro promises fascinating things.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Updates will happen whenever I discover new fic, but with this all the main posts are done \o/
Across the River and Back - A fusion with the anime/manga Yu Yu Hakusho, but as far as I can tell, requires no knowledge of that series to enjoy the story. I'm hoping against hope this will be completed, because the Ye Zun in this story seems tremendously powerful and taking him down is bound to be a hell of a ride. Also, Shen Wei and Zhao Yunlan's past life story (which is nothing like the novel backstory) is absolutely heart-wrenching.
A Heart Unmasked - An unusual alternate take on YOHE. Also has one of those rare whipping/torture scenes (and post-torture h/c) that didn't make me want to click away, because damn was Shen Wei even more badass than usual during it. I'm dying to know how the author intended to use this in the context of a fix-it, but there are two more chapters to go...
Da Capo - Really nice musician!AU. Love the idea of Shen Wei as a concert pianist and Zhao Yunlan as a rock star.
Jin Yu Qi Wai - It's pretty shocking (in the best way!) to see someone writing a post-canon reincarnation space opera sequel to the drama when that's almost exactly what you and your sister's brainstorming sessions came up with for a hypothetical S02, so, yeah, this is that.
Night Shift Fae Diner AU - Interesting alternate universe with Dixingren/Yashou as various mythical creatures who frequent a diner in which Zhao Yunlan is working. This is a series of small fics, so can be read even if you usually avoid WIP's.
Taking It Slow - A fantastic set of "missing scenes" fics which, as the title implies, explores a slow-but-sure edging towards a relationship for our favourite couple. I'm hoping desperately for an update to this one, but each part also stands fairly well on its own.
The Turning of the Wheel - A couple of short stories which, I think, are an abandoned attempt at a post-canon fix-it. Still a very interesting start, so worth a read. (Reincarnation again, though!)
Umbra - A unique take on daemon!AU, doing things with daemons that I haven't commonly encountered elsewhere.
Winter Jasmine - A superhero!Shen Wei AU by the author of Umbra. Another thoroughly interesting fic that I'm wishing so hard will see completion.
Writerly Inktober 2019 by Dahlia_Moon - A human!AU where Shen Wei has a shattered family and a shady past which Zhao Xinci is determined to use against him to make him break up with Zhao Yunlan. Meanwhile, Zhao Yunlan's birthday is drawing closer and Shen Wei's bought a wedding ring, but how can he propose with all that he can't bring himself to tell? Not sure why something this short and simple arrested my attention so much, but the way it mirrors canon is interesting.
Zhao's Seven - Marked as complete, but reads like the first chapter of a much longer heist!AU that draws inspiration from Ocean's Eleven. Still hoping this will get a continuation someday, because just the short intro promises fascinating things.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Updates will happen whenever I discover new fic, but with this all the main posts are done \o/
no subject
Date: 2019-12-21 06:16 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2019-12-22 12:51 pm (UTC)From: